Boxwell Reservation at Old Hickory Lake in Lebanon, TN is actually the fourth Boxwell. The other three are explained in First Boxwells below. Centrally located, Boxwell Reservation at Old Hickory Lake hoped to capitalize on post-World War II enthuasiasm for Scouting and opened for the first time on June 26, 1960. Compared to its predecessors, "new" Boxwell was an enormous reservation. Boasting four camps (Stahlman, Parnell, Light and Murrey), the reservation encompassed over 750 acres (eventually almost 1,300 acres), its own water and sewer systems, and facilties to house 850 Scouts a week. For this incredible system, the 1959 Capital Campaign had raised almost $1 million, the largest in Scouting history.
The Reservation also paid homage to the many people who had helped make it a reality. The camps were named for major contributors: Camp Stahlman for E. B. Stahlman, co-owner of the Nashville Banner and chairman on the 1959 Capital Development Campaign. Indeed, Stahlman had also been a critical force in securing the special act of Congress for the 525 acres ofCorps of Engineers land that was the core of the camp. Camp Parnell was named for R. L. Parnell of the Oldsmobile car dealership R. L. Parnell & Co. in downtown Nashville. Camp Murrey was named for E. E. Murrey, the Council's treasurer for many years. Camp Light for Dr. Rudolph Light of Vanderbilt, who had not only served as teh Council's Camping Committee chair, but was a major donor for the event. (While no camp was no named for him, the Justin "Jet" Potter Foundation also gave a consideration donation). The road into Boxwell was christened Creighton Lane after Wilbur F. Creighton, Sr., a Council President and a critical player in the capital campaign. And of course, the Reservation retained the name of Leslie G. Boxwell. The local businessman had been Camping Committee chair in 1921 and was responsible for getting the first Camp Boxwell open, for which work the camp was named for him. Every iteration since has continued that tradition. (Read more about these individuals in the Primer.)
While Akers had the vision to plan out Boxwell Reservation to grow in years to come, the property was in many ways a work in progress--never quite complete. The 1959 Capital Campaign's construction ended with the building of the Crippled Crab in 1961, but construction and renovated never really ceased. Boxwell continues to change to accomodate the growing needs of the council. See Recent Renovations below to learn more.